Friday, February 09, 2007

So I learned a few things

Since last we spoke dear reader, I had just returned from Vegas. Not what I'd call victorious, I did manage to survive the experience.

Then, several weeks after I'd returned home, I got asked to write up proposals for the april event.

Yipee! I didn't suck so bad that they wanted to fire me! Woo hoo.

Oh but I find that they want five new, never before done presentation proposals in two days. And then, when they're accepted, it means I am now responsible for producing that material and then being prepared to present it.

All while writing a book. A big book. A big, difficult, complicated book.

That I am sucking at. Seriously. I can't believe I let someone talk me into this. I can't do this. What was I thinking?!

So anyway, here's my thing:

Yes, I am not sure doing short sessions at large conferences is the thing for me. I don't have a big enough ego, I am just not that kind of person.

But it is possible that I might be the kind of person who goes to these big events and teaches full classes. Total, pre/post con. hands on classes. Training is more my style.

To that end, I am teaching a day long session covering, basically start to finish, what WSS 3.0 is, what it is behind the curtain, how to install it, how to configure it, how to use it (web parts/lists/libraries/subsites), and how to administer it.

In six hours.

Then I'll be covering 3 one hour sessions, two of which will be back to back-- Hidden Gems: List view web parts, custom lists, and custom list views. All culminating to using sharepoint in a more thorough way than most people expect. And a final session-- WSS backup and restore (which I thought would be great when I suggested it, but now that I've done it with WSS, I dread trying to explain how it often doesn't work...).

Altogether, lots, and lots, and lots of work.

Oh, and the 800 page book? Due in April. How far have I gotten? Chapter 4. I have only finished chapter 4.

Are they at least large chapters, you might ask? No. In all there are supposed to be 18 chapters.

Seriously. I suck. I have some people who might help me and write a few chapters. I am at their mercy. If they don't come through, I am so, totally, hosed.

And that's my story.

No comments: